Peni Candra Rini S.Sn., M.Sn
Composer, Songwriter, Poet, Vocalist for Javanese (pesindhen) and Contemporary, Lecturer in the Department of Karawitan, Doctoral Candidate for Creation of Music Art at Indonesian Institute of the Arts (ISI) Surakarta.
Owner and Executive Director of Candrarini’s Gamelan, Sentana Art Music Production and Jagad Sentana Art Foundation.
Ayom (2019), Timur (2018), Agni (2017), Mahabharata – Kurusetra War (2016), Daughter of the Ocean (2016), Bhumi (2015), Sekar (2012), Bramara (2010)
– Kronos Quartet Fifty For the Future Composers 2019.
– Featured Artist of Mosaic Interactive’s Bang on a Can’s Found Sound Nation, New York 2019.
– AMI Award for Best Vocal Jazz Artist 2017 Nominee.
– Mascot SIPA Solo International Performing Arts 2016
– Grantee of Asian Cultural Council New York for “Shadow Ballads Project” in the USA (University of Richmond, Bucknell University, Wake Forest University, Cornell University, the Consulate General of New York and the Indonesian Embassy in Washington DC), April 2016.
– Onebeat Fellows 2014 tour California – Arizona – New Mexico 2014.
– Grantee of Asian Cultural Council New York, to study at the California Institute of the Arts, research, creative activities, and collaboration with artists in the USA 2011-2012.
– APPEX (Asia Pacific Performance Exchange) in Bali in 2010.
– Recipients silver medal for the best singer in the Spring Friendship Art Festival in Pyong Yang North Korea 2009.
– The best young sindhen in Surakarta “Seleksi Pesindhen Remaja Se Karisidenan Surakarta” 19-20 March 2005
Music Director, Composer and Vocalist
- “Pekan Kebudayaan Nasional 2019” October 7, 2019, Jakarta.
- “Maduswara” by Peni Candra Rini for Asian Cultural Council Concert, September 2, 2019 Yogyakarta.
- “Gelung” by Peni Candra Rini as a composer and will play the Gamelan Nyi Menggung, from the era of the King of the Kasunanan Surakarta Palace, Pakubuwono VIII, with 25 female gamelan musicians for Post Festival 2019, August 31, 2019, Surakarta
- “Mosaic” by Peni Candra Rini with Found Sound Nation New York is a program of Bang on a Can, Premiere tour February 24 – March 27, 2019 : West Virginia, East Kentucky, World Premiere at the Big Ears Festival 2019 at East Tennessee USA.
- Found Sound Nation Presents The Hands Free, Peni Candra Rini and Eva Salina, Sunview Lunchnet, Brooklyn New York, February 20, 2019.
- “Wulan Sabit” by Peni Candra Rini for Grand Opening Ayom Java Village, 26 January, 2019.
- “The Sound of Shadow: Sugar Coated” by Peni Candra Rini, Luqmanul Chakim and Bianca Gannon, December 14, 2018. Melbourne Recital Centre, Australia
- “Caraka Lontara” by Peni Candra Rini with Choreographer/Dancer Dian Bokir, Illenk Andilolo and Bali Purnati Musicians for the Opening Ceremony of the World Converence on Creative Economy, Bali 6-8 November 2018. Bali.
- “Ludiro” by Peni Candra Rini with Choreographer/Dancer Dian Bokir and Bali Purnati Musicians for the Opening Ceremony of Art Bali, October 21, 2018. Bali
- “Timur” by Peni Candra Rini for 50years ATMI Solo, September 29, 2018 De Tjolomadoe Convention and Heritage. December 16, 2018 at the Ciputra Jakarta.
- “Bhumi” by Peni Candra Rini for IGF – International Gamelan Festival, 13 August 2018, Surakarta.
- “Harmoni Pasar Klewer” by Peni Candra Rini & Dwiki Dharmawan, 4 August, 2018
- “Shadow of Java” May 17 to June 3, 2018 at The Hague (Tong Tong Festival), Arnhem (Kumpulan Theatre) and Amsterdam (Bijlmerpark Theatre) and Amstelveen, Netherlands
- “Ontosoroh” grantee of Asialink project by Art SA Australia, Australia Council, the Australia-Indonesia Institute, Arts Project Australia to collaborate with Ade Suharto (choreographer of Australia) at the OzAsia Festival 2013 in Adelaide, the Australian Performing Arts Market APAM 2014 in Brisbane, WOMADelaide festival in 2014 in Adelaide. Ubud Writers and Readers Festival (2014), Cinnars Biennale (2014) Montreal Canada, Makassar International Writers Festival (2016). Europalia Festival 2017 di De Centrale Gent Brussels, Kingsplace London, Triangle Sank Vith Belgia 2017.
- “Breve” by Ruan at Workz Musical Arts Singapore, November 8-18, 2017, Singapore.
- “PANCHA-When the flames blaze the caged body, I surrender my soul, I Am …..” by Maya Dance Theatre Singapore, June 1-2 2017 at the Emily Hill Singapore and ArtJog 2017.
- “Mahabharata Part 3” – Director by Hiroshi Koike. 24-25 in Societet Jogjakarta Jogjakarta 23 and 24, 28 and 29 at Graha Bhakti Budaya in Jakarta, in 2016.
- “Sesaji Segoro – Daughter of the Ocean” by lion and the moon lady – Peni Candra Rini & Neil Chua, in Setouchi Triennial Japan 2016, Aliwal Festival Singapore 2017.
- “Mahaswara” by Peni Candra Rini at the SIPA Solo International Performing Arts September 2016.
- “Butterfly” by Peni Candra Rini for Jazz Gunung Bromo, 20 August 2016
- “Shadow Ballads” by Rumput, Peni Candra Rini, Anna & Elisabeth, Danis Sugianto, Sudarta Gusti, Tour in the USA (University of Richmond, Bucknell University, Wake Forest University, Cornell University, the Consulate General of New York and the Indonesian Embassy in Washington DC), April 2016.
- “Bhumi – Giri Bahari” by Peni Candra Rini September 29, Bentara Budaya Jakarta, 2015
- “Sing With Your Body and Dance With Your Voice” by Peni Candra Rini at the Ringling International Arts Festival in Florida USA 2015
- “After Dream” by Peni Candra Rini and Jen Shyu, January 19, 2014 at the Tembi Jogjakarta and November 18, 2014 50th Asian Cultural Council Anniversary in New York City.
- “Among Rasa” by Peni Candra Rini February 6, Bentara Budaya Jakarta 2014.
- “Persahabatan Project” by Gilles Saisi and Peni Candra Rini, May 17, 2014 at the BetelNut Ubud.
- “Balung & Sekar” by Peni Candra Rini at the Pekan Komponis Indonesia 2013.
- “Ratu Kalinyamat – the legend of Queen, Part of Ziarah Bulan Purnama” director by Sardono W Kusumo, Composer by Peni Candra Rini. Oct 18-19 Ratu Boko Temple, Jogjakarta 2013.
- “MANIK JEJANTUNG Live concert of GAMELAN PACIFICA” Composer and Vocalist by Peni Candra Rini with Gamelan Pacifica, December 3 2011, for Cornish Music Series Fall 2011, at Poncho Concert Hall, Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, Washington.
- “Kembang Kapas” by Peni Candra Rini and Ronnarong Khampha This work was inspired from the poem “Kembang Kapas” by Garin Nugroho, Perform at the Teater Kecil ISI Surakarta, Bentara Budaya Jakarta 2011, Gamelan Pacifica, December 3 2011, for Cornish Music Series Fall 2011, at Poncho Concert Hall, Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, Washington.
- “Bramara” by Peni Candra Rini, Benowo, 10 July 2008, JakArt 2008 and World Gamelan Festival Trengganu 2010, Malaysia.
– Post Festival 2019, Surakarta Indonesia
– Big Ears Festival 2019, East Tennessee USA
– Mapping Melbourne Festival 2018, Australia
– World Converence on Creative Economy, Bali 6-8 November 2018. Bali.
– International Monetary Fund and World Bank Group Annual Meetings 2018, Bali
– Humboldt Forum 2018, Berlin, Germany
– International Gamelan Festival 2018, Indonesia
– Tong-Tong Festival 2018 at Den Haag, Netherlands
– OzAsia Festival 2013 in Adelaide, Australia
– Australian Performing Arts Market APAM 2014 in Brisbane, Australia
– WOMADelaide festival in 2014 in Adelaide. Australia
– Ubud Writers and Readers Festival (2014), Indonesia
– Cinnars Biennale (2014) Montreal Canada,
– Makassar International Writers Festival (2016), Indonesia
– Europalia Festival 2017 di De Centrale Gent Brussels, Kingsplace London, Triangle Sank Vith Belgia 2017, Belgia
– International Gamelan festival London 2017, England
– Holland Festival 2017, Netherland
– ArtJog 2017, Indonesia
– AsiaTopa 2017 Melbourne, Australia
– Pasar Raya 2017 – Esplanade Singapore
– Aliwal Festival Singapore 2017, Singapore
– Mahaswara SIPA Solo International Performing Arts September 2016, Indonesia
– Setouchi Triennial Japan 2016, Japan
– Jazz Gunung Bromo Agustus 2016, Indonesia
– Ringling International Arts Festival in Florida 2015, USA
– ASEAN Enchanting Puppets Festival 2013, Chiangmai, Thailand
– Pekan Komponis Indonesia in 2013, Indonesia
– Jeonju International Sori Festival 2012 Korea, South Korea
– HIFA (Harare International Festival of the Arts) Africa in 2011 and 2012, Africa
– World Festival of Sacred Music Los Angeles 2011, USA
– Lincoln Center White Light Festival 2011, USA
– Cornish Music Series Fall 2011, at Poncho Concert Hall, Cornish College of the Arts, Seattle, Washington, USA
– World Gamelan Festival Trengganu 2010, Malaysia
– JakArt 2008, Indonesia
- “Lingkaran Kekerasan” director Nur Hidayat. Music Director, Composer and Vocalist by Peni Candra Rini
- “Opera Jawa” director by Garin Nugroho, Composer by Rahayu Supanggah
- “Laskar Pelangi” director by Riri Riza, Composer by Aksan Sjuman and Titi Handayani
- “Setan Jawa Movie” director by Garin Nugroho, Music by Rahayu Supanggah & Iain Grandage with Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, September 3 and 4, 2016 at the Teater Jakarta Taman Ismail Marzuki. Asia TOPA – February 2017 at the Melbourne Arts Center. ArtJog – May 21, 2017. Pesta Raya Esplanade Concert Hall – 21 July 2017. International Gamelan Festival London at the Cadogan Hall and Royal Concervatory Glasgow, September 6-10, 2017. Holland Festival – 18 – 19 juni, Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ, Amsterdam 2017. Humboldt Forum – Setan Jawa Negotiating Sounds, at the Haus Des RundFunks Berlin, September 22, 2018.
Jingle Music Project
– Jingle Ayom 2019
– Jingle Muda Satria Muda Bhakti 2017
– Jingle Mahaswara SIPA 2016
– Jingle Immigration Pemalang, Cirebon, Jakarta Timur
Cooperate with the International Gamelan and music contemporary:
– Garasi Seni Benawa Indonesia,
– Sono Seni Ensamble Indonesia,
– Gamelan Widosari Amsterdam,
– Gamelan Istika Den Haag,
– Gamelan Burat Wangi CalArts,
– Gamelan Pacifica Seattle,
– Gamelan Sumunar Minnesota,
– Venerable Shower of Beauty Gamelan Portland,
– Gamelan Raga Kusuma Richmond,
– CAGE Cornell Avant Garde Ensemble,
– Cornell Gamelan Ensemble,
– Boston Village Gamelan,
– Gamelan Kusuma Laras New York,
– Southbank Centre London.
– Gamelan Naga Mas Schotland
Teaching and as a visiting artist :
UCLA in 2011, California Institute of the Arts in 2011, San Diego Stage University in 2011, the University of Washington in Seattle in 2011, Cornell University in Ithaca from 2011 to 2016, the University of Richmond in Virginia in 2011, 2015 and 2016, Bucknell University in 2016, Wake Forest University, 2016. Davis & Elkins College 2019.
- “Mosaic Jam: Art, Music, Imagination and Identity” Panel Discussion in Graceland, Davis & Elkins College, March 14, 2019.
- Bukan Musik Biasa ke 68, Taman Budaya Jawa Tengah, 22 January 2019.
- International Gamelan Festival Seminar at SOAS London 2017.
- Bekraf Creative Labs 2017 JogCreaSic – Jogjakarta Creative Music seminar, talkshow, masterclass and workshop by ISI Jogjakarta at the Inna Garuda Hotel Jogjakarta 26-28 August 2017.
- Panel Discussion at the Makassar International Writers Festival (2016)
Artist Collaboration with:
Rahayu Supanggah for I Lagaligo – Robert Wilson, Opera Jawa – Garin Nugroho, Megalithic Quantum, Spoleto Festival Dei Duo Mondi, World Gamelan Festival Terengganu. Collaboration with Idud Sentana Art, Meredith Monk, Suzanne Teng, Roman Stolyar, Kit Young, Albert Zimedza, Dwiki Dharmawan, I Wayan Sadra, AL Suwardi, Jarad Powel, Jessika Kenney, Kembang Kapas – Ronnarong Khampha, Ontosoroh – Ade Suharto, Opera Jawa – Eko Supriyanto ,HIFA – Miroto, Gondrong Gunarto, Boby Budi Santosa, Dedek Wahyudi, Mugiono Kasido, Midiyanto, Barry Drummond, Pandji Vasco Da Gama, Setyawan Jayantoro, Leslie K Gray, Mindy Johnson, Chris Miller, Philip Grauthy Los Angeles Electric 8, Sardono W.Kusumo, Jen Shyu, Elena Moon Park, Found Sound Nation New York, Kyungso Park, Young Yorn, Ng Chor Guan, Wu Siou Ming, Zachary Chan, Rosemainy, Gilles Saisi, Shadow Ballads Project 2016 with Andy McGraw, Anna Robert G & Elizabeth Prielle, Kroncong Rumput Virginia, Danis Sugianto, Gusti Sudharta. Lion and the Moon Lady 2016 – Neil Chua, Scoring movie “Lingkaran Kekerasan” director Nur Hidayat. Mahaswara SIPA (Solo International Performing Arts) in 2016 by Boby Budi Santosa, Iswanto, pitutur, Pambayun – Indonesia, Philip Graulty – USA, Rodrigo Parejo – Spain, Blessing Chimanga – Zimbabwe, Neil Chua – Singapore, Elena Moon Park – USA , Ali Tekbas – Turkey, Eva Salina – USA , Mehdi Nassouli – Marocco, Ben Townsend – USA, Zafer Tawil – USA/Palestine, Alexia Webster – South Africa, Kyla-Rose Smith – South Africa, Christopher Marianetti – USA, Jeremy Thal – USA, Gideon Crevoshay – USA, Asma Ghanem – Palestine, Ezra Tenenbaum – USA, Christopher Botta – USA, Ashley Tata – USA, Eamonn Farrell – USA, Maxwell Bowman – USA, KRONOS Quartet – USA
As a vocalist on the album “Anane Ono “and” Opera Jawa “by Rahayu Supanggah, and work with his music composition since 2005 until now.
Surakarta, 5 August 2019
Peni Candra Rini, S.Sn., M.Sn.
(Dosen Komposisi Karawitan I, II, III, Notasi Karawitan, Tembang I, II, III, IV di Jurusan Karawitan, fakultas Seni Pertunjukan, Institut Seni Indonesia Surakarta) www.penicandrarini.com +62 8122647596